The Baseball Desert

Sunday, July 13, 2003

OK - so you CAN have too much of a good thing. There's a reason why this blog is called The Baseball Desert, and the reason is that I have no access whatsoever here to live baseball beyond what I can get on my 56k Web connection at home or my broadband connection at work (not that I would ever use my Internet access at work for personal purposes, of course...). So, when given the chance to see a few games, as I have had at a friend's place this weekend, I behave exactly like someone who has been wandering in the Sahara for days and who suddenly comes across an oasis - reason goes out of the window, and I gorge on whatever sustenance is to be found, until I make myself ill.

So, here's the rundown: since yesterday I've consumed 1 Phillies / Mets, 1 Yankees / Blue Jays, 1/2 Red Sox / Tigers, I'm currently working my way through a second Yankees / Blue Jays and thinking about an Orioles / A's finale for dessert. Oh yeah, and just to round things off, I spent about five hours watching my ballclub (the Montigny-le-Bretonneux Cougars, just in case you're wondering...) play a couple of games in the Paris suburbs.

It's a public holiday here in France tomorrow, so I guess I'll have a bit of time to get over my severe case of baseball indigestion and fatigue, and as a bonus, the All-Star break is just around the corner, which gives me a couple of days' additional rest - I think I need a few days off more than those major-leaguers do...