The Baseball Desert

Monday, August 25, 2003

Hidden treasures

I watched For Love Of The Game for the nth time this weekend (great movie, btw - if you watch it with your male friends you can all express admiration for Kevin Costner / Billy Chapel's perfect game whilst secretly wishing that somebody as gorgeous as Kelly Preston would fall in love with you, and if you watch it with your significant other you can say "great love story, huh?", whilst getting off on the whole perfect-game trip)...

Anyway, after the movie, I thought I'd have another look at the bonus features on the DVD, which include a "Perfect Game" baseball quiz. I'd tried the quiz before, but never got to the end of it - it's a 'three strikes and you're out' system - but on Saturday I got lucky and made it through the 12 questions. Once I'd done so, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it gave me access to a 1932 Universal Pictures short called Slide, Babe, Slide, a little ten-minute baseball vignette which was as enjoyable as it was unexpected.