The Baseball Desert

Wednesday, September 24, 2003

Déjà vu all over again?

In the playoffs so far: Braves, Giants, Yankees, Twins, A's... Those names ring any bells at all? Five of the eight teams which made the postseason in 2002 are there once again this year. Barring a Seattle miracle in the American League, they should be joined by the Red Sox, who once again won in extra innings last night, thanks to Todd Walker's dramatic game-tying 3-run home run in the bottom of the ninth and David Ortiz' walk-off home run in the 10th. (Today's Baseball Desert question: how many times have I logged on to the Internet this year to see Boston's winning score followed by F/10 or F/11? I'd love to know how many games the Red Sox have won in extra innings this year. These guys have refused to give up all season...).

Although the American League seems pretty much decided, things are still up in the air over in the National League. The Cubs have a one-game lead over the Astros in the NL Central - one of these teams is going to win the division (the Cardinals could still in theory win, but their elimination number is down to 2), whilst the other will have a shot at catching the Marlins and the Phillies in the Wild Card race. I'm sat here at my desk during my lunch-break trying to figure out just who has a good shot at what, but my head's starting to hurt after 20 minutes of looking at the standings! However, what is still a possibility is a 'Field Of Dreams', we-ain't-done-this-in-almost-a-century World Series between the Red Sox and the Cubs...

Oops, sorry, I'm more exhausted than I thought - I must have nodded off at the keyboard and drifted off to Never-Never Land... I'm not going to say anything more about the chances of either of these teams, because over the past few days I've managed to kill off the Mariners and possibly the Phillies. So, today there'll be no team-based sign-off - I'll just make do with: "Go baseball...!"