The Baseball Desert

Tuesday, September 02, 2003

Home-run Trot

Yesterday I saluted the Fenway faithful for their standing ovation for Roger Clemens, and today I found myself grinning when I logged on to MLB.com and saw that the Red Sox had beaten the Phillies yesterday thanks to a Trot Nixon grand-slam in the ninth inning. Is the Dark Side of the Pinstripe finally loosening its grip on me??

The Sox still have a mountain to climb in their division - they're 4 1/2 games behind the Yankees, although with a three-game series coming up this weekend in Yankee Stadium, things could change quickly. The win does however put them just one game back of Seattle in the Wild Card race, so I'm going to cross whatever it is that Red Sox Nation crosses at this time of year (fingers, arms, legs, eyes, ...) and hope that we can see some postseason play at Fenway Park...