The Baseball Desert

Sunday, September 28, 2003

Never-Never Land

YESSSSSSSSSSS!!! The Cubs AND the Red Sox in the playoffs. Life really does sometimes give us the things we wish for! I have no idea how I'm going to manage a week of work and playoff games at 10pm ET (4am here in Paris), but I'll find a way somehow.

It doesn't matter that I'm following all of this over the Internet from 4,000 miles away - I love this time of year. At the same time, it's a bit like looking forward to Christmas when you're a kid - you spend months making plans and hoping that you get all the gifts you asked Santa Claus to bring, and then it's all over in the blink of an eye. The playoffs are better than Christmas, because the period is longer (and this week, for example, there are days when there will be three different playoff games played), but I know that in a month's time, I'll already be experiencing withdrawal symptoms and starting to count the days until Spring Training... So, this week's motto is: carpe diem - seize the day, enjoy the games and hope that the playoffs are as good as the pennant / Wild Card races were.