The Baseball Desert

Friday, September 26, 2003

The phall of the Phillies

I know, I know, but I just couldn't resist an MLB.com-style headline on this one. The reality behind the tacky headline, however, is a harsh one for the Phillies - after a promising season during which it looked like they could be playoff contenders, they fell at the final hurdle. A third straight loss to the Marlins last night means that the Phillies are eliminated from the Wild Card race, and those same three Marlins wins mean that Florida is now at least assured of a tie for the Wild Card.

And speaking of ties, Houston and Chicago are now tied atop the NL Central, so that divisional race will be decided over the final three games of the season. I like both ballclubs, but I have to say that I'm rooting for the Cubs, if only to keep my hopes of a 'Field of Dreams' Cubs-Red Sox World Series alive...