The Baseball Desert

Monday, October 06, 2003

All-nighter

Just my luck - after a weekend of great baseball games at reasonable hours (1pm / 4pm ET), I see that tonight's winner-takes-all (well, the Division Series at least) game between Boston and Oakland is scheduled for 8pm ET. If there's one bad time for me, that's it - even games that start at 7pm PT are OK, because I can go to bed early and get at 4am to watch the game, but an 8 o'clock start (2am for me) is too late for me to stay up for, and to early for me to get up for... I know it's 'only' Game 5 of the Division Series, and there's a long way to go yet, but I have to admit that the prospect of a Pedro Martinez / Barry Zito duel is very, very enticing.

Of course, given the way that series has worked out so far, those two guys may end up as mere bit-players in today's episode, as MLB.com's Mychael Urban points out.