The Baseball Desert

Thursday, October 02, 2003

Classic

As the old saying goes, hindsight is an exact science, but I wish I'd gone to bed early and got up at 4am to watch the Red Sox / A's game in Oakland - from what I've read and seen, it was a great baseball game. I'm catching up with innings 9 through 12 on MLB.com, but since I didn't see the whole game, I'll leave MLB.com's Mychael Urban to give his impressions of the game.

My best friend is an English guy who lives here in Paris and who enjoys watching baseball now and again (since seeing a game in Oakland last year), and he's always asking questions about rules, tactics and strategy. I guess I should send him to check out the video of the game. Good pitching, good hitting, pinch-hitters lifted for pinch-hitters (without even facing a pitch), Gold Glove defense (Chavez saving the game in the 12th with a great play at third) and a game-winning bases-loaded bunt in the bottom of the twelfth inning, which surprised just about about everyone in the ballpark except the guy who laid it down, Oakland catcher Ramon Hernandez.

The only question now is: how do these two ballclubs improve on a game like that?