The Baseball Desert

Monday, October 27, 2003

Lost for words

Having spent the last few months posting on an almost daily basis on here, it feels a little weird not to have posted anything since before Saturday's classic Game 6. There are several reasons for the silence, but the main one is simply having so much to say and not knowing where to start. It was a helluva season, a helluva postseason and a helluva World Series - so much so that Sunday felt like coming down off cloud nine.

I don't think I was the only one who felt like that - I read lots of baseball blogs and had feedback from people who read this one, and everyone seemed to want the season to go on just that little bit longer (OK, so many Cubs and Red Sox fans couldn't wait to see the back of it, but you know what I mean)... It didn't quite go as far as Game 7, but I think we got a pretty good deal all the same. But, as I said before the postseason even started, it's a bit like Christmas - you look forward to it for months and then it's over before you know it. Even though we've just had possibly the most amazing three weeks of baseball ever, it still feels like that - it just kept getting better and better over that period (and Thomas Boswell lists the ways in which it kept us enthralled, just on case we've already forgotten...), and now we wake up in the morning with no box-scores to check...

At the same time, I AM glad to be getting my regular life back - I can finally stop refusing invitations to dinner or the movies, I can go to bed at 11 and know that I'm going to be able to sleep right through to 6:30, I can start reading again, I can re-discover my CD collection. Baseball will still be there, but it will once again occupy its winter spot - in the background, kept warm by the hot stove. I know I'll be posting stuff on here (though the posts might well be less frequent than during the season) - there will be thoughts on the past season and hopes for the next one, reflections on the game and any other deep and meaningless stuff that might cross my mind between now and Spring Training.

The offseason will also give me time to sit down and watch Game 7 of the ALCS in its entirety, and who knows...? Maybe I'll finally figure out why Grady Little left Pedro in to pitch to those Yankee hitters...