The Baseball Desert

Thursday, October 23, 2003

OK, so I lied...

...but I hadn't seen Clemens' postgame press conference when I said that Thomas Boswell would have the last word on Rocket's last start. Since Clemens has said all along that he's retiring so that he can spend more time with his family (particularly when journalists bring up the fact that he's in as good physical shape now as he was 10 or 15 years ago and that he could easily pitch another season or two), I thought that the last word should go to one of his sons. Clemens answered questions for about fifteen minutes after the game, with his wife and four sons beside him. Once the questions were over, Clemens asked his sons if any of them had anything to add. Nine-year-old Kacy stepped up to the mike and said to the journalists in front of him: "Thank you for watching over my Dad for the last twenty years. We'll take it from here...". It was orchestrated and it was corny, but it was also the best closing line I've heard in a long time...