The Baseball Desert

Friday, October 31, 2003

Seeing things

Don Zimmer back on the field as Boston's third-base coach?

Oh, hang on a second - Zimmer is on the field as the Red Sox third-base coach, but that's because I'm watching Game 6 of the 1975 World Series between the Cincinnati Reds and the Boston Red Sox. I've had moments this season where I've been mad with MLB.com because I couldn't log on to MLB.TV to watch the postseason games, but I have to say that, as a whole, their online service is great. The baseball season my be over, but MLB.com has a whole bunch of games that can be downloaded (for a fee) and watched over and over again on your PC. Game 6 of the '75 Series is a game that I've read so much about but, for obvious reasons, have never seen, so I thought I would begin with that one and then see which other games might tempt me.

It's great to see games like this - I finally get to see Luis Tiant pitch, Carl Yastrzemski field, Pete Rose hit and Johnny Bench catch. Plus, it's just the game and nothing else - no little AOL guy on the replays, no sponsor messages, no annoying trailers for Fox's new autums shows, just baseball. What more could you ask for?