The Baseball Desert

Friday, October 24, 2003

Weavering a magic spell

Three straight nights of getting up in the wee small hours of the morning to watch the World Series are starting to take their toll - I'm tired, I have a blinding headache and my brain seems to have stopped functioning (although the last point may have less to do with the World Series than the fact that it's 3 o'clock on a Friday afternoon...). So, in the absence of any original or interesting thoughts on the Marlins' win last night in Game 5, I thought I would point you in the direction of Rob Neyer's thoughts on Game 4, notably the one that must have occurred to everyone watching the game (including yours truly, an English guy brought up and soccer, cricket and darts...): why was Mariano Rivera sat on the bench whilst Jeff Weaver was on the mound serving up the game-winner to Alex Gonzalez?