The Baseball Desert

Monday, November 10, 2003

The Boys of Winter

Christian Ruzman over at The Cub Reporter has this great quote from Rogers Hornsby on his homepage:

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."

That's what it feels like I'm doing right now - staring out of the window, waiting for spring (or spring training, to be more specific) to roll around. I'm passing the time reading about baseball (at more or less all the sites listed on the right), thinking about baseball and watching baseball (those classic games available on MLB.com), but I'm not actually spending all that much time writing about it. I'm keeping an eye on the trades and the different moves happening (as well as those apparently not happening) in the baseball world, but there's really not that much to do except sit around and watch as the winter soap opera unfolds.

The one advantage of the offseason is that it sometimes gives you chance to reflect on the bigger picture, because you're not spending all your time reading boxscores and analysing specific games and players. For me right now the bigger picture involves trying to respond to the question that lots of people ask when they come across this weblog: how does an English guy living in France end up as a baseball fan? I thought I would be able to answer quickly and concisely, but the question opens up all kinds of avenues worth exploring, so it's taking a little while to piece something together. When I finally get something close to a complete answer, I'll post it on here.