The Baseball Desert

Friday, January 16, 2004

Flying solo

I know, I gave my word, I said I wouldn't talk about it, but since this is another story on Pete Rose, it seemed kind of appropriate for my word not to mean very much. It looks like Rose's attempts to curry favour with the general public by finally admitting he bet on baseball are having just the opposite effect on his fellow former players. After Ferguson Jenkins' open letter to Rose saying that he will never support Rose's reinstatement to the game or his bid to be inducted into the Hall of Fame, it's now Hank Aaron's turn. Aaron doesn't mince his words: "During these past few days, I've looked at Pete on television, and he hasn't given any signs of an honest confession. [ ] The timing of when he said all of this was very bad. I'm still quite angry with it."

Thank you, Hank. And so say all of us.