The Baseball Desert

Friday, March 12, 2004

Miguel and me

It's not often that I have something in common with a major league ballplayer, but yesterday I did - the Orioles' Miguel Tejada had to leave the field yesterday with a leg injury, and so did I...

However, unlike Tejada, who said "I'm fine - it hurt for about ten seconds and went away", mine still hurts like a b*tch. I sprained my ankle at second base and now have trouble just walking, let alone running around a baseball field. The other un-Tejada-like problem I have is that we're not in spring training over here, but right on the eve of the actual season itself - our games begin in a week's time, and at the rate things are going, I might miss the first couple of games. If that sounds like no big deal, then I should point out that we only play 14 games this season, so it's like a major leaguer having to sit out 25 games. As you can imagine, I'm not a happy chappy.

The one advantage I can see is that I won't have to train in the freezing cold over the next couple of weeks, but I hope it doesn't go on any longer than that, or I'll have to take up something less strenuous, like pétanque...