The Baseball Desert

Sunday, June 27, 2004

Sad b*stard

Interleague play has once again worked its magic and lured me out of the late-afternoon sunshine and into the office on a Sunday evening. I love firing up the computer and logging on to MLB.com on days like this - it's like looking the menu in your favourite Italian restaurant: "Do I go for the pizza? Lasagne? Spaghetti con vongole?" I'm tempted by Mets / Yankees and Phillies / Red Sox, but I think I'm going to plump for the team du jour, the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, who last night tied the record for consecutive interleague wins, as they see how they match up against the Marlins' red-hot Carl Pavano, who has an ERA of just 1.39 over his last four starts.

Update: The answer to the Pavano question was: "Not very well" - Pavano threw a lot of strikes and gave up just one earned run over seven innings. The Rays trail the Marlins 10-1 in the bottom of the eighth.

Update: Marlins win 11-4. I'm off to check out the last few innings at Fenway before I head on home for the night.