The Baseball Desert

Thursday, June 24, 2004

(Tell me why) I do like Thursdays

My idea of heaven - day games from the East Coast.

I think tonight proves once and for all that I am a lost cause as far as soccer goes - I'm forsaking the big Portugal vs. England Euro 2004 game for Devil Rays vs. Blue Jays at the Skydome.

The D-Rays had their winning-streak stopped at 12 by Toronto last night, but they seem to have just shrugged their shoulders and picked up where they left off on Tuesday - they've already got three runs off Ted Lilly in the top of the first. Lilly seems to be having trouble getting on the same page as his catcher and looks a little rattled - he balked home the third run after getting his signs mixed up on a previous pitch.

I like watching Toronto, if only because it's nice to see your own surname on the back of a major league ballplayer's jersey. I know it's just living vicariously, but a guy's allowed to dream, isn't he?

Update:
It looks like it's going to be one of those games in Toronto - the Blue Jays have responded with 4 runs of their own off Rays' starter John Halama in the bottom of the first.