The Baseball Desert

Thursday, August 05, 2004

Big wheels keep on turnin'

Apparently these are the dog days of August, but they don't seem to have kicked in everywhere yet. Last night saw come-from-behind walk-off wins in New York and St Louis, which helped the teams maintain huge division leads (9 games and 9 1/2 games, respectively). I know it's a little early to be counting your chickens, but they both have to be pretty good candidates for some playoff action in October, and I for one certainly wouldn't mind seeing these two great baseball towns square off in the World Series, if it came to that.
In the meantime, I'll have to make do with the A's / Yankees game from the Bronx tonight. I was going to catch the Rangers and the Tigers in Detroit, because they are both ballclubs that I've taken a shine to over the past couple of months, but when I looked at the pitching matchups, somehow - and with all due respect to the players involved - Ryan Drese vs. Wilfredo Ledezma didn't quite appeal to me as much as Barry Zito vs. Kevin Brown. Then, if I'm feeling up to it, I might head on out to Coors Field to see just what Nomar looks like in a Cubs uniform.

One evening. Two ballgames. Six beers. Perfection.