The Baseball Desert

Monday, August 02, 2004

Don't blink or you'll miss it

I left Paris early yesterday morning to take my kids down to the family vacation home about 350 miles from here (yeah - they're on vacation whilst I sit here sweltering in the office...) and drove back early this morning so that I could get into the office this afternoon. Since I went to bed early on Saturday, I missed the end of the trade deadline, so I thought I would check out what went down over the weekend. When I logged on to MLB.com, my initial thought was that the long drive had tired me out more than I thought, because the picture I saw was this one:



My brain sent out a message saying "Hey! You really do need some sleep - you know as well as I do that Nomar plays for the Boston Red Sox...".

Except, of course, that he doesn't anymore.

I guess it figures - if baseball teaches us anything on a daily basis, it's "expect the unexpected", so after weeks of focusing on whether Randy Johnson would be going to the Yankees or not, it shouldn't come as any real surprise that a deal like this came almost out of nowhere. It was one of those multi-club deals that happen every now and again and which I always find intriguing. As someone who grew up watching English soccer, the notion of a trade is a strange notion per se, since in soccer clubs just put their money on the table and buy players from other clubs, but it's all the more fascinating when it's a trade like the Nomar one, where the Cubs got Nomar, minor-league outfielder Matt Murton and cash from the Red Sox, but the Red Sox didn't trade anyone back directly. Instead, they got Orlando Cabrera from the Expos and Doug Mientkiewicz from the Twins. The Twins got minor-league left-hander Justin Jones from the Cubs, who in turn sent Alex Gonzalez and two minor-leaguers to Montreal.

The Globe's Dan Shaugnessy says it was time for Nomar to go, others have more mixed feelings, and then there are those who are too young to analyse and who are simply devastated.