The Baseball Desert

Saturday, August 14, 2004

Help!!

I'm worried - last night I dreamt that I was playing in a pickup baseball game in the back garden of my parents' house with Moisés Alou, which of course is one of those ridiculous 'never gonna happen' kind of dreams because it's obvious that their garden:

is way too small to play baseball in without treading on the flowers...;-)

However, I think the dream does reveal that it is possible to have too much of a good thing, and that I'm watching too much baseball, generally - and too many Cubs games, specifically - right now. The reason for the Cubs overload is simple: they still play a lot of day games, even on days like yesterday when all the other games are night games, so when I fire up the computer around 8 or 9 in the evening, there they are, sporting those classic pinstripes and playing in that great ballpark.

Last night the Cubs played good baseball (let's call it 'The Corey Patterson Show') and held the Dodgers to a one-run lead up until the ninth inning, at which point it all went horribly pear-shaped. Moises dropped a fly ball which should have been the first out of the inning and that spelled the beginning of the end for Chicago. Glendon Rusch and Kyle Farnsworth then both gave up three runs each without retiring a single batter and the Cubs were done for the day, as was I, since it was well past midnight.

I'm going to try to be reasonable today and maybe catch just one game, but I fear I'm hooked. I look at the schedule and see "1:20pm SF @ PHI, 4:05pm KC @ OAK" and my eyes light up at the prospect of back-to-back baseball games. Oh well, it's probably best not to fight it, especially as I'll be on vacation next week, far from baseball and the Internet, so let's say those two games today, Twins / Indians and Yankees / Mariners tomorrow and then I should be able to make it through to the 23rd...