The Baseball Desert

Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Damn Yankees!

As a "reasonable observer" of the game, I promised myself I wouldn’t get lured in by the Red Sox last night. I failed miserably in my attempt, and so now I find myself having a sh*tty day because of a bunch of guys I’ve never met or even seen in person, who earn their living chasing a little while ball around a big green field.

Larry Mahnken has a good piece on a game that began very black-and-white and ended a subtle shade of grey, and his thoughts are echoed over at Surviving Grady. As Larry says, a win is a win, but both teams have good reason to be both optimistic and cautious.

Right now, I’m trying to think positive thoughts and focus on Pedro’s Game 2 start, but all I keep seeing is Matsui at the plate with runners on base. I’ll be better by tonight, but until then, a word of warning: I've been up since 2am and I'm not in the best of moods, so don’t p*ss me off, OK, or I will not be responsible for my actions...