The Baseball Desert

Wednesday, October 20, 2004

In the wee small hours of the morning

I don't know what to say - it's 6.30am, I'm exhausted (despite upping my CSSA to 3.5), I'm drained and I have to go to work in about an hour's time, but I don't care. I'll do it, and no matter how crappy my day might be, I'll be wearing a smile, because there will be Red Sox baseball tomorrow night.

Curt Schilling gave everything he had tonight and came up huge for the Red Sox - despite his injured ankle, he pitched 7 innings and gave up just one earned run. Things got a little hairy in the 8th (way to go, Yankee fans...) but Boston regrouped and made sure that the four runs scored in the fourth were enough for the win.

This now changes my personal agenda - having slept through last year's ALCS Game 7, I'm not going to make the same mistake again. Unfortunately, that means that I won't be able to see the NLCS Game 6 between the Astros and the Cardinals (a 10pm start here). I've been rooting for the Astros all the way, so I don't feel comfortable hoping for a St. Louis win tonight, although but it has to be said that it would give me a chance to catch Game 7 on Thursday. No, on second thoughts, I can't do it - I've got to be a team player on this one and not worry about trying to fit one more extraordinary baseball game into my life, so it's "Go Astros!". If they win, there'll be plenty of time to catch the game on MLB.TV; if they lose, then we get our second Game 7 in as many days.

Ain't life great?