The Baseball Desert

Saturday, October 09, 2004

The sweet taste of victory

I was going to write something about the Red Sox' rollercoaster of a win at Fenway last night, but then I went to see what Beth had to say over at Cursed and First and decided that I couldn't possibly write anything that would capture the excitement, tension and beauty of the game as well as she did. It's all there in her post: Fenway, the crowd, the roars, the silence, even the terrible announcers on ESPN.

I was fortunate enough to follow the game in the virtual company of a bunch of Red Sox fans (including Beth, Meredith and Steve on the Surviving Grady message board, and that made the evening that much sweeter. It was nice to feel that I wasn't alone in my darkened living-room at 2 o'clock in the morning, that others were going through the same anguish, and, ultimately, experiencing the same joy.

I'll leave the last words (as in "a picture speaks a thousand...") on the subject to Messrs Martinez and Ortiz. I'm not going to be the only one posting this picture on the Web today, but it sums up the postgame feelings so well that I couldn't resist: