The Baseball Desert

Monday, March 07, 2005

A Day In The Bleachers

This was our ballpark over the weekend:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
(thanks to webmaster Loony for the photo)
As you can probably gather from that, spring training is more of a dream than a reality right now. So, to compensate, I spent some of the weekend in Arizona (virtually, at least), in the company of those lucky enough to have warm breezes blowing over their ballparks.

Given the way that I came to the sport of baseball, I don't think that I'll ever be one of those fans interested only in games that count involving their team, sometimes to the exclusion of all other teams and even entire leagues. Yes, I'm a fan of the Boston Red Sox, but that will never preclude me from being a generic fan of the game, and that means that I was able to spend three relaxing hours in front of my PC this weekend, watching the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim play the Colorado Rockies (of Denver).

The score was of no consequence (7-6 Colorado, if you really want to know, with a nice 5-run rally in the 9th inning), nor was the fact that, by the seventh inning or so, neither I nor the announcers on FSN Rocky Mountains could recognise or name any of the players on the field - there was baseball, and that was enough to make it a good day. There'll be plenty of time to get worked up about the Yankees or Baltimore's apparently volatile new right-fielder. For now, it's enough that the summer game is back in my life on a regular basis.