The Baseball Desert

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Back in the saddle again

Opening Day was great, but its soothing magic wore off fairly quickly, leaving me to ponder the fact that Red Sox fandom has slowly seeped into my bloodstream and turned me into an individual who is not necessarily pleasant to be around at game-time, even if it's only the second game of the season.

Last night I watched the Red Sox tie the game in the bottom of ninth against Mariano "Not-As-Scary-As-He-Used-To-Be" Rivera, only to then see them lose the game on a Derek Jeter walkoff home run in the bottom of the inning. Jeter's blast had me cursing and making obscene gestures at the computer screen, much to the bemusement of Mrs Iain, who was no doubt wondering how I could go from a happy, Zen-like state of mind to raving lunacy in the space of about three days.

What can I say? I think I've got the Red Sox under my skin. The only positive aspect I can see is that I'm not the only one.