The Baseball Desert

Sunday, June 05, 2005

Sweet dreams aren't made of this

A combination of tiredness after last night's 4:30am finish and a spot of overindulgence meant that I missed the last couple of innings of tonight's game. Normally this would annoy me no end, but under the circumstances it was probably just as well.

In the absence of any constructive criticism on the game, I'd just like to address a couple of words to Dallas McPherson:

Dear rookie,

I'm willing to give you a free pass on the "named after a town" thing, because it's not your fault. However, I do feel compelled to speak out on behalf of tidy-freaks everywhere on the subject of your uniform jersey: FASTEN THE DAMN BUTTONS, WILL YA? To paraphrase the great Crash Davis:
"Your uniform buttons are undone. You'll never make it in the bigs with your uniform buttons undone. Think classy, you'll be classy. If you hit .350 in the show, you can undo all the buttons you want and the press'll think you're colorful*. Until you hit .350 in the show, however, it means you are a slob."
Thanks for listening.
Iain

*
If you don't believe me, just check out Buck and McCarver's comments from last night on Manny's back pocket.