The Baseball Desert

Monday, July 18, 2005

Sending out an S.O.S.


As a member of that privileged section of society we call the French workforce, I'm not going to complain about the start of my annual month-long summer vacation. Nor am I going to moan about being able to get away from the city for three of those four weeks and spend time enjoying views like this:


However, every silver lining has a cloud: I can pack enough reading material for three weeks, as well as pretty much any CD I would want to listen to, but it would take some pretty special powers to conjure up a broadband Internet connection out of thin air, which means that I'll be out of touch with baseball at the very moment the Yankees and the Sox prepare to do battle once again for the AL East.

So my message in a bottle would go something like this:

To the members of Red Sox Nation -

I'm stuck on a (baseball) desert island, slowly going crazy, but if some kindly soul were prepared to e-mail me the Sox results and standings on a regular basis, I think I might be able to make it back to civilisation in one piece.
Two minutes of your time could save the life of a fan in distress. Please drop me a line if you think you can help...

"Helpless in Haute-Loire".

Update: Of course, if all I'm going to get is news of 3-1 losses at home to the Devil Rays, maybe I'll just go on living in blissful ignorance on my little desert island.