The Baseball Desert

Friday, September 16, 2005

Don't look now

The Red Sox - through a combination of bad luck, bad injuries and just bad baseball - are a train-wreck of a baseball team right now. And as befits horrible train wrecks, those who pass by are, to a greater or lesser extent, averting their gaze:
And me? Me, I'm rooting from afar right now. My heart still belongs to the Red Sox and I'm pulling for them all the way, but it's hard enough watching Johnny Damon throw like a Little Leaguer / Gabe Kapler sustain a season-ending injury on the basepaths / Curt Schilling give up two runs on the first five pitches he throws without adding to the pain by getting up at 1am to do so.

I'll be watching the day game on Sunday, but between now and then, for the sake of my mental and physical health, I'll be taking another couple of days off. Oh there'll be baseball alright, some of it for high stakes, but at the end of the day, I'll still be able to get a good night's sleep.