The Baseball Desert

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Play of the day

Nope, not Kevin Millar's 2-HR, 3-RBI game - although we like that a lot - but rather Doug Mirabelli's stolen base in the bottom of the seventh inning.

I've watched the play and still can't for the life of me work out how Mirabelli managed to get almost to the bag before drawing a throw from the pitcher. The only reasonable explanation that I can come up with is that Jesus Colome is deaf and blind and that Travis Lee is a mute.

In the end, the stolen base counted for nothing, as Mirabelli ended up stranded at third, but it was worth the effort, if only to see the look of disgust on Lou Piniella's face and to get another gem of a quote from Terry Francona:
''I don't know how they didn't see him," Sox manager Terry Francona said. ''Because I felt him."
How can you not love this guy?