The Baseball Desert

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Rant And Rave

So, Alex Cora flied out twice with the bases loaded, Edgar made another horrible error (scored an infield hit, but he dropped the ball), Hanley Ramirez got screwed by


[Editor's note: we apologise for this break in transmission. This is due to an infection by the virus W32.penn@ntr@ce, which has caused our server to freeze in "Rant" mode. Our technicians are working to remedy the problem - regular service will resume shortly.]

So, as I was saying, last night the Sox played the game that everyone in Red Sox Nation was hoping for. They didn't just beat Tampa Bay - they kicked the crap out of them in a 15-2 blowout, in which the heart of the order (Ortiz-Ramirez-Nixon-Varitek) went a combined 16-for-20. The four of them combined for 5 home runs and 12 RBIs, 8 of which came with 2 men out, as if the team were trying to prove that it was doing everything but panicking.

A blowout like this is the sort of game that usually sends me to bed early, but last night I stayed to the end. There were a couple of specific reasons for that - I wanted to see if Trot hit for the cycle (he fell a double short) and I wanted to see Hanley Ramirez' first major league at-bat (he got screwed on ball four, ending up with a backwards 'K' in the scorebook) - but more than that, it was to experience a feeling of serenity that rarely occurs when watching the Red Sox in September.

So, please forgive me if I endulge myself a little and enjoy the moment, because I know it won't last.