The Baseball Desert

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Too Much Information

This is what was in my head when I woke up this morning:
"S-A-C-C-U-C-C-I ... Saccucci is the name to try",

quickly followed by:
"5-0-8 8-8-0 0-0-0-0 ... Lincoln Mercury of Raynham"*.

I guess that's the price you pay for watching both ends of a day-night doubleheader. Any day now I'm expecting to wake up singing "The wonder of it all...". I think tiredness is part of the reason, but I also think that it's my brain's way of trying to process another 3-run lead that got away.

Just because everyone has said that this race would go down to the wire doesn't mean that the Sox have to follow the script. To be honest, I wish they would just throw the damn script away - I love a bit of drama, but in this particular instance I would be more than happy for the Sox to take a 2-game lead into this weekend's series with the Yankees. They had a chance to move towards that goal last night, as for the first time in about two weeks the Orioles decided to stop playing like a beer-league softball team and put 17 runs up on the board against the Yankees, but the Sox were unable to make it count.

So now we're back to the original script. Neither the Sox nor the Yankees will be more than two games up come Friday, so it looks like we're heading for Act V.

Ladies and gentlemen: please fasten your seatbelts.


* For those unfamiliar with these commercials, imagine the worst jingles you've ever heard, then multiply that by about ten. I'll miss watching baseball over the winter, I'll miss NESN, I'll miss Don and Jerry and Eric Frede, but I won't miss the world's most annoying commercials.