The Baseball Desert

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Another Day

Above and beyond wanting to win another championship, this is why we should be grateful that the Red Sox are playing a game today:
2005 is in the books, and as books go, it slants more toward Finnegan’s Wake than, say, A Prayer For Owen Meany – a rich cast, full of hope and promise at the start, that then descends all too quickly into a morass of unintelligible language, nonsensical metaphors, and dead-end premises that never seem to add up to a coherent whole.
[...]
Baseball’s woven tightly into my summer; I can’t imagine not following it every day, not reading as much as I can about it and watching it at every opportunity. I bemoan the fact that I can’t watch more, I talk about it with as many people as I can as much as I can, and I just generally love the fact that something as trivial and insignificant as a sport can have this effect, not just on me but on a lot of the people I know.

We get to play whilst 22 other teams look on in envy.

Bring it on.