The Baseball Desert

Saturday, October 01, 2005

It Ain't Over 'Til It's Over

So, the three-game sweep wasn't to be.

It just wasn't the Red Sox' day today. However, thanks to a White Sox team that refuses to mail in their last three games of the season, the Sox still have a great shot at a playoff berth, via the Wild Card.

The very best that Cleveland can hope for is to force a one-game playoff against Boston on Monday, which would only happen if they beat the White Sox tomorrow and the Red Sox lost to the Yankees. All the other possible permutations would result in the Red Sox winning the Wild Card.

Once again, the Red Sox control their own destiny - they just need to pick themselves up, dust themselves off and go out and win tomorrow. The Sox have a 75% chance of winning the Wild Card tomorrow, a 25% chance of having a one-game playoff Monday and a 0% chance of immediate elimination. If that's the silver lining on today's cloud, I'll take it.