The Baseball Desert

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Sell, Sell, Sell

I'm glad to see that baseball writers are no different from us common mortals when it comes to selling. To sell Mrs Iain the idea of a $1200 trip to Boston, I have to play the "it's something I've dreamed about for years" card. And to sell us the idea of Roger Clemens possibly returning to the Red Sox, writers are starting to get creative with the English language.

Roger Clemens is many things, but I'm afraid "ageless" is not one of them - he is a 43-year-old power pitcher with 4700 innings on the clock. I'm not objecting to the idea, as I would love to see Clemens in a Red Sox uniform again - I just don't like being sold something with the wrong label on it. Tell me that there would be a risk involved due to Clemens' age and injury worries and I'll listen to what you have to say, but please don't try to sell me Peter Pan.