The Baseball Desert

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

How Do I Say

I was going to write a post about how the World Baseball Classic just got even better, but I read through to the end of the article and was pleasantly surprised by Bonds' statement. I'm always quick to criticise Bonds' attitude, and even if the statement is an exercise in political correctness I thought it only fair to point out that this time he said the right thing regarding the right decision at the right time:
The obvious objections were about my health and whether or not I would be ready to play. In the end, I decided that I can't take any chances that might jeopardize my season. I don't want to give the impression that the WBC is not important. I know this means a lot to showcasing our sport worldwide, and the patriotism of playing for Team USA would have been a great honor. I feel what is best for me, my family, the Giants, and our fans is that I sit the WBC out.
I'm not going to be joining the Barry Bonds fan club anytime soon, but this is worth a brief tip of the cap in passing.