The Baseball Desert

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

I Get A Kick Out Of You

From what I hear, the World Baseball Classic is not creating as much excitement in some quarters as Major League Baseball may have hoped. Even so, I think you'd have to be pretty jaded not to want to see this particular lineup in action. I know there are other strong teams out there, but I can't help imagining the other managers taking a look at the potential lineup for the Dominican Republic and having a mild heart attack: "Tejada, Ramirez, Ortiz, Pujols, Guerrero. How in God's name are we gonna pitch around these guys?"

Despite Gary Sheffield informing us that this is all some phony, crappy, made-up tournament, I'm looking forward to seeing these teams play. And it doesn't take a genuis to work out which nation I've adopted for the month of March. Just sign me up for one of these.