The Baseball Desert

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

I'm Tired, Joey Boy

I'm tired. Not of baseball, but because of baseball. There are still two-thirds of the 2006 season to go, but I'm already pretty sure that I will watch more regular-season games this year than I have ever done before. I used to reserve my "go to bed at 9, get up at 1, go back to bed at 4" routine for the postseason, but it has become more the rule than the exception this year, to such an extent that I'll probably end up watching more games than I'll miss.

However, I am getting to the point where I look forward to an off-day almost as much as the players themselves do, and the games I do watch will be selected according to who's pitching. With Matt Clement being bumped from at least two starts recently, I just assumed he would be starting tonight in Minnesota and I could get a rare two consecutive good nights' sleep. A quick glance at the schedule just now showed me that I got it all wrong - it's Schilling vs. Santana tonight. I know there's no such thing as a sure thing in baseball (who could have predicted Pauley vs. Wang turning into a pitchers' duel?), but this could turn out to be a pretty good game, so I guess I'm going to have to be there, black coffee in hand.
--------
The tiredness also seems to have blinded me to the fact that after we leave Minnesota, we have about a bazillion interleague games against the NL East: Braves, Nationals, Phillies, Mets and Marlins. I was vaguely aware of the Mets series because of the whole "Pedro back at Fenway" angle, but I hadn't realised we were playing the whole damn division for the next two-and-a-half weeks. I don't know whether to be relieved that I'm not enough of an anal-retentive to know the Sox schedule by heart, or worried that I appear not to know WTF is going on half the time.

Hmmmmm...2:30pm - time for a quick siesta, maybe?