The Baseball Desert

Saturday, June 03, 2006

It ain't over...

YOOUUUUUUUUK!

I had the post all set to go in my head: "pitching duel...beaten by better pitching...at least it didn't drag on for four hours...", and then Youk pulled me back in. I was actually allowing my body to drift back into sleep mode as the ninth inning progressed, but then all of a sudden the ball was over the fence, a on-run deficit had become a one-run lead and I was sat on the edge of the sofa, willing Papelbon to finish it off.

On balance, it was a game we probably shouldn't have won, but those are the sweetest kind, especially on the road. We got the 'W', but we also reminded the Tigers that we're never going to just give it up - we'll keep playing until the 27 outs have been recorded. We may be down, but we're never quite out.