The Baseball Desert

Friday, June 30, 2006

Sunny day, sweepin' the clouds away

"Today's episode was brought to you by the letters C and O."

I don't know whether the 11-game winning streak creates higher expectations, but when David Wright hit that ball into the gap it was like a balloon being burst. I had about half a second to think: "Damn - there goes the lead and maybe the streak" before Coco made his jaw-dropping catch. I'm a sucker for great catches anyway, especially in the outfield, but this one had that "Holy shit!" factor reserved for truly amazing athletic feats.

Whereas big bats and home runs have been a constant part of the Red Sox makeup over the past few years, this whole "stellar defense" thing is still a new concept and has taken some getting used to, but I have to say it's now "The more I see you / The more I want you."