The Baseball Desert

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Gone fishin'


It probably hasn't escaped your notice that there hasn't been much going on here for the last week or so. The reason for that is that I'm not here (well, almost not here, as evidenced by this post) - I'm on vacation.

Much as I love not having to commute or work or even think about work for the best part of three weeks it is unfortunate that my long annual vacation comes in the middle of summer, and therefore in the middle of the the baseball season. Still, it gives me an opportunity to experience once again the "baseball desert" I lived in for many years and to better appreciate the miracle that is the World Wide Interweb, which has become one of those things that you only realise the value of once they're gone.

So, the Indians, Devil Rays, Royals and Orioles will all come and go and I won't be there to see them. When I get back after those series, I'm hoping that the Sox will be sporting a healthy 72-45 record and that all the familiar faces will still be around. In both cases, there's absolutely nothing I can do, except cross my fingers and hope that everything turns out for the best.

In the meantime, if you came here looking for baseball wit and wisdom, check out the bloggers listed over to the right, who are guaranteed to keep you entertained until I return from self-imposed exile.