The Baseball Desert

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Making your mind up

There are myriad reasons why I dislike the YES Network - the main one being that it's the broadcast network of the New York Yankees - but the thing that pisses me off above everything else is the inconsitsency of the announcers. It's not just a YES Network thing - it pisses me off generally in my dealings with other people. I can deal with points of view which are different to mine, but I want the people holding them to at least try to be consistent.

With Papi back in the lineup, today's topic du jour is of course the MVP award. Personally, I don't give a crap who wins the MVP award, but they've got to talk about something, so let's go with that.

If you're going to argue the case for Jeter being MVP, fine. If you're going to use the importance of defense as part of the case, that's fine, too. Of course, as the YES announcers themselves (Murcer and Singleton, I think, but I'm not 100% sure) said, nobody really knows what the hell MVP voting is supposed to be based on, but you can make a good solid case for hitting and defense, so I'm happy to go with that argument. However, what you can't do at that point - as you gloat over the fact that the Yankees are going to the postseason and the Red Sox are not - is then say: "I think that MVP clearly means Most Valuable Player in helping your team to the playoffs."

There are two reasons why you can't say it: 1) there's no justification for it - you just made it up since it conveniently fits this year's scenario; and 2) your own friggin' third baseman won the MVP award in 2003 whilst playing for a team that not only didn't make the playoffs, but which finished 25 games out of first place in the AL West and had the fourth worst record in the league.

As Jere would say, TJ, YES, TJ.