The Baseball Desert

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Fade away

I switched on the computer at 8:05pm, looking forward to bidding farewell to this year's Red Sox team and wrapping things up for the winter, but all I've seen so far is a two-hour rain delay. Given that this game is of no real meaning to either ballclub or to the AL East as a whole, I don't know how much effort will be put into getting it played. It's a 2:05pm ET game, so the powers-that-be have some leeway, but whatever happens, I won't be there to see it - it's already 10:15pm and Monday morning is unfortunately looming large.

I'm pissed at missing the last game of a season in which, despite living 6 time zones away from Fenway Park, I've probably seen more than half the games the Sox have played, but at the same time part of me is able to appreciate the symbolism of the last embers of a dying season fizzling out in the late September rain.

Tomorrow morning the calendar will say 'October 2nd', but as you can see from the graphic below, it might as well read: 'Start Of Winter (RSN)'.


Anyone know how long it is until Pitchers & Catchers?