The Baseball Desert

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Short-changed

Dear MLB.TV,

I love the service you provide, I really do. Without it, this poor baseball fan would probably have taken up some other sport a long time ago. However, would it have been too much to ask to let us watch a tiny, tiny little bit of the Tigers' celebration after their classic walk-off win tonight?

I can understand you blacking out commercials during every single game since the beginning of the season, even if that means having to sit through your ridiculous, cheap, cheesy-music-accompanied MLB.com 'commercials' a million fuckin' times. (Just a thought in passing - these games are on Fox, and therefore blacked out for U.S. viewers, so I presume the only people seeing what I see are international viewers. If so, I can tell you from experience that no international baseball fan in their right mind is going to buy stuff from the MLB.com shop, where a $20 hat is going to set you back another $35 dollars in handling, shipping and import duties.)

Anyway, I can sort of see the logic behind the 'no commercials' policy, but I'd like to point out that you cut off the Fox broadcast tonight whilst the players were still on the field celebrating their win, with not a commercial break in sight. These games are on in the middle of the night here, so having stuck it out until 2 o'clock in the morning, I'd really like to see the game through to its natural end, which, despite what some anal-retentive MLB.com exec might think, is not necessarily at the end of the ninth inning.

In the future, please refrain from pulling the rug out from under our feet like this.
Thanks for listening.
Iain