The Baseball Desert

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Bad timing

Yesterday's game finally got going at around 6:15pm CET, whilst I was still in the office. I could have watched the game there, but after 8pm trains run only every hour back to Paris, so I figured I would head off straight away and catch the later innings of the game.

I left the office just after OC hit his home run in top of the first. When I got home, it was the top of the 4th, and the game was all but over - I'd missed the Sox' six-run first, Beckett hitting Vlad and Lugo's stellar defense. Fortunately, I did arrive in time to catch the play of the game, the one that all Boston is talking about: the Pizza Play.

I have no idea how the whole thing happened. Why was the guy throwing the pizza? At whom? He must have been really pissed (English pissed or American pissed - both work) to be throwing around a $7 slices of pizza like that. Whatever the reason, it was a classic piece of television. Red called it
NESN's own version of the Zapruder film and [...] easily one of the most brilliant things I've ever seen with my two eyes.
The YouTube clip doesn't quite do the whole thing justice, as the main entertainment was to be had in Don and Jerry's in-depth analysis of the incident. And listening to two guys spending time analysing a pizza-throwing incident at a baseball game is maybe no bad thing on a day like yesterday.

--------------------
Obsessive Anal-Retentive Game Counter: 11