The Baseball Desert

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Here we go again

It's April 4th, the second game of the season, and I'm already thinking about whether I'll be getting up at 2am to watch Josh Beckett pitch tonight. This decision to start keeping all kinds of unreasonable and unsocial hours has come earlier with every passing season, and it seems to me now that the only games I'm not prepared to get up in the middle of the night for are Spring Training games.

We really don't know what we're going to get out of young Josh tonight, but hopefully it'll be a "this is how you do it" class for #38. I suggest that he takes a leaf out of the book of the other Beckett, celebrated playwright and onetime star of the Dublin University cricket team. Wikipedia says Beckett was known for his "stark, fundamentally minimalist" work. On a Wednesday lunchtime, I'm not sure I'm prepared to dig deeper into what that might mean in literary terms - I mean, Waiting for Godot seems like the kind of scary play you could accidentally fall into and never climb out of ever again - but in baseball terms I'm thinking that stark and fundamentally minimalist can mean only one thing: strikes, ground ball outs and eight innings of two-hit ball.

Josh - please prove to me that I haven't read too much into the text.