The Baseball Desert

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Optical illusions

I'd have preferred Beckett to go more than five innings last night, but I thought he looked pretty good. It was only when I looked at the game report that I realised he had only thrown 46 of his 94 pitches for strikes. It felt like a lot more - there were a lot of balls that were close to the strike zone and a number of "come and get me" high fastballs. Beckett had the heat going, as well as a nice curve and changeup. If he can keep that up, and make those 94 pitches stretch seven or eight innings instead of five, I'll be a happy chappy.

Optical illusion no. 2 was Mike Lowell. I think my Internet connection may have been playing up, because it looked like Mr "Only 6 errors in 2006" made errors on consecutive ground balls last night, and three overall. Surely that can't be right?

Outside of that, it was a good game. Some two-out mojo in the first, a mighty blow from Youk and a first win in the bag. I'll that any day of the week.

--------------------

Obsessive Anal-Retentive Game Counter: 2