The Baseball Desert

Monday, April 02, 2007

Ten Feet Tall And Bulletproof

If, by any chance, you were entertaining thoughts of insulting me, dissing me, stealing my car or generally just trying to ruin my day, then I suggest that you do these things today, because whatever you try to do to me today won't touch me. Today I'm invincible and the reason is simple: it's Opening Day.

Over the past few weeks there have been moments when it felt like this day would never arrive, but it's finally here. It's a day of promise and hope, the only day of the season when every team (except the Cardinals) has a shot at the perfect season. But the end result - be it a World Series victory or a hundred losses - is only one part of the story. What Opening Day means is that baseball will be with us almost every day from now until October. MLB.com will once again show boxscores from games that actually mean something. I'll start drinking Asahi Super Dry on days that Matsuzaka pitches. I'll get excited about games involving the Devil Rays. All of these little things have been missing from my life over the last six months, and now they're back.

So today life is good. However, life can always be a little better when it has an appropriate soundtrack to it. Today's soundtrack, naturally, has a baseball / Sox feel to it (Tessie, Dirty Water, Sweet Caroline), but there's really only one song that could open up the playlist:
Well, beat the drum and hold the phone - the sun came out today!
We’re born again, there’s new grass on the field.
A-roundin’ third, and headed for home, it’s a brown-eyed handsome man;
Anyone can understand the way I feel.
We're born again, there's new grass on the field. Yes, indeed. Bring it on.