The Baseball Desert

Monday, June 04, 2007

Here in the real world

Another day, another one of those bloody 4-hour, every-pitch-contains-decades-of-history Yankee marathons. The Sox looked like they were going to lose, then looked like they were going to win, and then, all of a sudden, we entered an alternate universe and the bubble burst.

Because of the 8pm ET / 2am CET start time (thanks, ESPN - I really love it when you mess with the schedules just so that I can listen to Joe Morgan talk out of his ass), I got just 3 hours' sleep before the game started, and none at all after, which means that watching A-Rod hit that homer was basically not only the end of my weekend, but also the starting-point of my week. Ugh.

The upshot of all this is that I've been up for 11 hours already, even though it's barely lunchtime, and I'm tired and pissed off and more than a little tetchy. Not too tired, however, to step back from the Sox-Yankees stuff and take a look at what the series means in real terms. The Sox losing 2 out of 3 games felt like the end of the world, but it was nice to be reminded that life is still pretty good:
The Sox are 10 1/2 games ahead of the Blue Jays, 12 1/2 ahead of the Yankees and they still have the best record in major league baseball.

I think I can safely come down off that ledge. For the moment, at least.

--------------------
Obsessive Anal-Retentive Game Counter: 48