The Baseball Desert

Saturday, June 09, 2007

What was he thinking?

If you've ever wondered what goes through a pitcher's mind when he's in the middle of a potentially historic game, you now have the answer.

This is exactly the kind of post that I'm interested in as a fan. Not just the details of pitch selection and execution, but the thought processes behind them and, in this specific instance, how a player - and his teammates - deal with coming so close:
"As soon as the ball hit the outfield grass I thought 'Ok what do I want to do with Ellis?' I hadn’t even contemplated him hitting up to this point. Tek was starting to come to the mound, Mike did as well. I waved them both off as I was absolutely locked into getting this next out. This win was something we sorely needed but it was cool as hell to know the two veteran leaders on this team are that aware of how the game and the mind can work. Neither wanted me to let this slip by going to a bad place mentally."