The Baseball Desert

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Burnout

You don't need to be an eagle-eyed observer to notice that there's been more desert than baseball around here recently. My actual, real life seems to have done a good job of shoving my online life out of the way for a while.

Not so very long ago, all these missed Sox games - and the numerous blog posts which only ever get written in my head - would have been cause for concern, but I'm at a point in time right now where I don't really care.

I think much of this is due to the fact that I'm stood at a career crossroads right now, looking down a new, scary, fascinating path, and baseball games - as much as I love them - have taken a back seat. Case in point: last night. I dozed off whilst reading, but my in-built baseball clock woke me up at around 1am (just in time for the first pitch of the game). However, instead of leaping out of bed to fire up the PC, I weighed up the pros and cons of getting up to watch Wake do his thing, and the cons - a need to be on-the-ball in an early-morning meeting with my future boss and some of his team - beat out the Red Sox quite easily (just like the Kansas City Royals).

Saturday marks the start of 2 1/2 weeks' vacation for me, and usually this signals the beginning of mild panic attacks at the thought of 18 days without any access to Sox baseball. But this year, I'm off, outta here, hitting the road with barely a glance in the rear-view mirror. I'll try to keep up with at least the scores of the games, but I won't be searching out the nearest Internet café to look for any more details. The Sox will do their thing and I'll do mine, and when I get back, we'll see how this new, slightly platonic relationship is working out.

I know that others have had this feeling of burnout recently, so it's comforting to know that I'm not quite in a minority of one. I like what one of the comments to that post said:
I hear you: I also get a bit discouraged from time to time; my interest in blogging waxes and wanes depending on a lot of things. It's nice to see your hits increase and stuff, but at the end of the day I know that there are a few dedicated people - mainly friends - who read what I have to say and I'm mainly blogging for myself anyway. Some kind of expression, typing out my thoughts, keeping book reviews archived; whatever it might be.
That's me - writing not for world domination, but mainly for myself (to avoid getting locked up in a padded call, as I wrote way back when) and a few dedicated readers. So, dedicated reader, please allow me to echo Ernie's thoughts in his original post:
Anyway [the site]'s not going away, but don't be surprised if the updates are sporadic over the summer. If something exciting or noteworthy happens I may become inspired to write about it.
So keep an eye on your RSS feed - I'll be back when 1) my vacation's over, and 2) I feel inspired to add my two penn'th to the collective wisdom of Red Sox Nation*.

*If you want my honest opinion, that'll probably be about twenty minutes after I set foot back in our apartment. Red Sox - quand tu me tiens...